Sunday, July 12, 2009

A Day in the Atlantic




We finally got out of St. Augustine, and had our first long trip in the Northern Atlantic. We travelled from St. Augustine to Fernandina Beach. The trip was close to 70 miles in the ICW, and closer to 50 in the Atlantic, so out we went!




It started out as a calm day. The winds were 5-10 knots and the seas were rolling at about 2-4 feet. It was very peaceful out there, and we enjoyed it immensely. Unfortunately I had some seasickness to contend with. It wasn't too bad, and I was able to keep it to a minimum by spending most of my time on deck. Andy, ever thoughtful, set me up on deck with a cushion, a book and a sandwich. He also did all of the baby care along with the sailing.




Late in the afternoon my sea sickness started to get the better of me, so I went into the aft cabin for a nap. Shortly afterward the winds picked up to 20-25 knots and the seas grew to 6-8 feet with both a roll and a chop. I slept off and on, but woke up pretty queasy!! It was my first real test out there. I managed to hold down my lunch, so I guess I passed. :)




After 10 hours at sea we came into port at Fernandina Beach. We docked at the marina for the night and took a lovely stroll through the little historic village. It was much more to our liking than St. Augustine, just as old, but much less commercial and touristy. Very quaint. We could live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment