Friday, January 29, 2010

Toddling through a Winter Wonderland









As January comes to a close, and I sit here typing aboard Sassy II on the coldest night of the year, I am reflecting on the winter aboard thus far.

It has been a very mild winter, all told, with very little snow and few really cold days. I think that's a blessing, as we really feel the difference when the temperature drops below about -15C. Last night I actually wore a toque in bed! Now I truly feel like a Canadian!! I think we may need another heater.

Henry and I continue to get out every day, even if only to walk to the grocery store a block away. I think it's really important to get a little fresh air and a change of scenery every day. Henry continues to amaze me. He is able to walk on his own now, and continues to climb on everything. Since he started walking he has really increased his talking. It's almost as though he has shifted gears from physical skills to verbal. He is way ahead physically and cognitively, following instructions, putting lids on bottles, putting shapes in his sorter, putting things away in the cupboards and closing the doors, but has lagged behind a little in speach. As of his first Birthday he had only said, "baba and mama", as those were his only consonents. Since then he has added 'g' and 'd', and says words that sound like 'this' and 'that'. I find it quite amazing to watch him develop.

I am still amazed that I have a son. I wasn't sure it would ever happen for me, and I savour every moment. Just this morning I was watching him nap and marvelling at how perfect he is. I know it's a mother's love that biases me, but I truly do think he's perfect. Motherhood has been an incredible journey so far.
I have gone off on a tangent. Winter. Henry and I have spent a lot of our weekends away in Peterborough or Kitchener visiting with my parents or Andy's. I think all of the visiting has kept us from feeling couped up on the boat. It's always nice to go away, and just as nice to come home again.

I've really enjoyed this lifestyle. It's amazing how little space a family actually needs. We live, all five of us if you include the furry ones, in a space as small as the average livingroom. (Andy didn't like my saying that our space is small, reminding me that it is 34'10" x 11'4", I think he has become a true sailor and has forgotten what it's like to live in a house!) Henry doesn't have all of the big toys, swings, highchairs, change tables and other paraphenalia that most new parents just have to have, and I think that has helped us to live a much simpler life. He has more toys than he can play with, they are just smaller. He has a portable chair that attaches to the table. And who needs a swing, walker, or other entertainment centre when you have a companionway to climb?

This lifestyle does make you realize what a necessity really is. Henry's Aunt Becky just bought him a 'Cadillac' of a stroller. Our little umbrella stroller purchased for $25 in Florida has seen more miles than you can imagine, and has the wear and tear to prove it. Our new jogging stroller is an unbelievable luxury! The tires are big inflatables, and I can push it with one finger! Henry really enjoys the snack tray. Thanks Aunt Becky!!

The highlights of our winter wonderland? We step out our door and feed the ducks, geese and swans that are swimming beside our dock. Our family is closer than we've ever been. We have hearty, home cooked meals that warm our tummies and our home. We get out every day to enjoy the biggest city in the country from it's most scenic location. Even though finances are tight, our simple life has made me the happiest I've ever been.

No comments:

Post a Comment